Lymphedema Therapy Program
SporTherapy offers a Lymphedema Therapy Program Provided by a Certified Lymphedema Therapist for the treatment and prevention of lymphedema and associated diagnoses.
What is Lymphedema?
Lymphedema is swelling of a body part, most often the extremities, but also can be found in the face, neck and abdomen. It is a result of abnormal accumulation of protein-rich fluid in the affected area due to an impairment of normal lymphatic flow.
What causes Lymphedema?
Lymphedema can be a primary or secondary condition.
- Primary Lymphedema is caused by a developmental abnormality within the lymphatic tissue and will manifest between birth and puberty
- Secondary Lymphedema is the result of a known cause such as the removal of lymph nodes, radiation, trauma or injury to the lymph vessels. Cancer and cancer therapy is the #1 cause of secondary lymphedema in the United States
When Can Lymphedema Occur?
Lymphedema can occur at any time! Any person who has damaged or deficient lymph systems are at risk of developing lymphedema.
What is the treatment for Lymphedema?
Lymphedema treatment consists of a specialized and individualized program known as Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT) comprised of:
- Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD)
- Compression Bandaging and Garments
- Remedial Exercise
- Skin and Nail Care
- Instruction of Home Self Care
What other conditions are treated with Complete Decongestive Therapy?
- Combination forms of Lymphedema, Lipedema & Venous Edema
- Chronic Venous Insufficency (CVI)
- Post- Traumatic Edema (Sprains, Whiplash, Hematomas, Burns)
- Post- Surgical Edema (Total Joint Replacements, Orthopedic Surgery, Plastic Surgery)
- Inflammatory Rheumatism
- Wound Care
- Cyclic Idiopathic Edema
- Chronic Headaches
- Lymphostatic Encephalopathy
What is needed to schedule an appointment for Lymphedema Treatment?
A doctor’s prescription/referral and medical clearance is required for all treatment. Once you obtain a prescription/referral, please call us at our Weatherford or Southwest locations to schedule an evaluation with our Certified Lymphedema Therapist!